Dental Implants An Overview
Lazer Cosmetic & Advanced Dentistry offers complete services for dental implants under one roof. Our team can complete both the surgical and restorative aspects of your dental implant procedure in our Owings Mills dental office.
The most common way to use a dental implant is to replace an individual missing tooth.
Dental implants can also be used to anchor a bridge that will replace multiple teeth, as well as to support dentures so that they are held firmly in place and won’t slip or move around when you talk or chew.
Dental implants are made up of three parts: a titanium post, which is surgically placed into your jaw bone to replace the tooth root; a titanium abutment or container, which sits just below the gum line and will anchor your new tooth crown; and a ceramic crown, which is made of durable, tooth-colored material and looks and feels like your own natural tooth.
Advantages Of Dental Implants
- They’re natural: when properly placed, the dental implant will fuse to the bone and become a natural part of your jaw.
- It isn’t removable: dental implants bond with living bone, so you can expect to eat, smile, talk and brush normally.
- Superior function: a removable denture will only support 5% or 10% of your chewing biting force. Dental implants allow you to chew normally.
- Long lasting: dental implants have a documented success rate of more than 97% and will last you for many, many years, far beyond the life span of a bridge or denture.
- Ultimate stability: a dental implant won’t drift or more like a removable denture.
- Conservative restoration: with a dental implant, the dentist doesn’t need to cut down adjacent teeth or use them to support a replacement tooth (like with a bridge).