People who are missing teeth due to trauma, disease or poor oral hygiene have a few options to replace those missing teeth. Depending on the location and number of missing teeth, your options include a dental bridge, dentures, or dental implants. For a single missing tooth or several consecutive missing teeth, the traditional treatment was a dental bridge. For patients missing all or most of an entire arch of teeth, the treatment would typically be dentures.
With advances in dental technology, a better option has evolved. Dental implants are now the best and most natural solution to replacing one or even all of your missing teeth. At Cosmetic & Advanced Dentistry, we have a team of dental experts who can complete both the surgical and restorative aspects of your dental implant procedure in our Owings Mills dental office. We will always recommend dental implants due to their many benefits.
Benefits of Dental Implants
- Life-long solution: Dental implants are designed to last a lifetime. The actual lifespan of implants depends completely on the patient and their lifestyle and oral hygiene habits. Since the implant is surgically placed in the jaw bone, it will actually fuse with the surrounding bone and will remain there forever unless there are preexisting medical conditions or implant misuse. Despite implants costing more than other options, in the end you may actually end up spending more on dentures and bridges because they require a lot of care and maintenance and will eventually need replaced. It is important to look at the broad picture when making your choice; dental implants are the only option that will last a lifetime.
- Better for your oral health: There are a few reasons why teeth implants are better for your oral health when compared to other restorations. The first and most important reason being the prevention of bone loss. Implants will replace the tooth root and this is what actually prevents the jaw bone from deteriorating. Conversely, dentures and bridge wearers will inevitably experience bone loss after years of wear. People who choose a dental bridge will need to sacrifice healthy teeth in order to accommodate it. The healthy teeth that sit on either side of the bridge will need to be reduced, essentially damaging healthy teeth. Implants will only replace the teeth that are missing and will leave your healthy teeth intact.
- No more embarrassing moments: Removable dental restorations tend to slip around in your mouth and come loose at the most inopportune times. If you are speaking, they may cause your speech to slur or maybe even fall out. They can even come loose or fall out while you are coughing, sneezing or chewing food. It is moments like this that make patient self-conscious and scared to be out in public. Dental implants are surgically secured leaving you with no worries of them slipping around or falling out.
- No more food restrictions: Removable restorations, especially dentures, will obviously come with food restrictions since they are not as stable or durable. It is especially hard for people who want to eat a healthy diet. Dental implants will not wiggle or move allowing you to eat whatever you want.
- Better quality of life: Implants simply offer a better quality of life. When you are proud of your smile and not constantly worried about your fake teeth falling out or keeping you from eating the foods you love, you are able live happily.
Learn More About Dental Implants