Dental sedation, also called sleep dentistry, is used by dentists to help patients receive the dental care they need. Patients who suffer from dental anxiety or fear of the dentist can benefit from sedation dentistry in Hunt Valley, MD. Dr. Ed Lazer and Dr. Andrey Doroshenko are caring dentists that want their patients to feel calm and comfortable during their dental appointments. There are many benefits of sedation dentistry for the patient and dentist.
What is the Main Goal of Sedation Dentistry?
The purpose of sedation dentistry is to ease anxiety and discomfort in our patients. It lets people with dental anxiety, phobias, or those with complex oral health issues to get the necessary care while they remain in a relaxed, calm state. Sedation dentistry ensures a more comfortable and stress-free experience, promoting oral health and regular dental visits.
What is Oral Conscious Sedation?
Oral conscious sedation is a technique used by dentists to help patients relax and remain calm during any type of dental appointment. Patients will be given a prescription for a sedative. They will take this medication before arriving to their appointment. It works by inducing a deep state of relaxation as well as putting the patient in a drowsy state. However, they will remain conscious and responsive the entire appointment. In this state, patients will be able to remain calm and completely relaxed.
The Key Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
Oral conscious sedation offers several benefits for both patients and dental practitioners:
- Reduced Anxiety: Patients will experience no anxiety or phobias making it easier for them to receive any kind of dental care or treatment they need.
- Improved Comfort: Patients are able to relax and will not be tense. This will improve their comfort level during treatments, reducing discomfort, and enhancing their overall experience.
- Increased Cooperation: Patients who are sedated are often more cooperative, making it easier for dentists to perform complex or lengthy procedures.
- Memory Loss: In most cases, the patients will not be able to remember much from their appointment. This partial or complete amnesia of the procedure will help reduce potential trauma associated with dental visits.
- Time Efficiency: When patients are sedated, dentists can perform multiple treatments in a single visit, reducing the number of appointments needed.
- Enhanced Safety: Dental professionals can closely monitor patients’ vital signs during the procedure, ensuring their safety.
- Accessibility: With the availability of oral conscious sedation, dental care is not more accessible to individuals who would avoid dentist appointments due to anxiety or fear.
- Reduced Gag Reflex: Another benefit of sedation dentistry is that it helps to control the gag reflex. This is often a problem for some patients during even the most basic dental procedures or exams.
- Pain Management: Sedation often includes pain-relieving properties, minimizing post-operative discomfort.
- Promotes Regular Dental Visits: By making dental appointments less traumatic for fearful patients, it encourages them to seek regular dental care. This will improve their oral health in the long run.
What is Sleep Dentistry Like for the Patient?
Each patient’s sedation dentistry experience will vary. Almost all patients will feel relaxed and calm during the procedure. Some feel drowsy to the point they falls asleep.
During the treatment, our dental staff will monitor your vital signs to make sure you are safe at all times. We will be able to communicate with you and ask you questions to make sure you are okay. After your appointment, you will need time to recover from the sedative effects. You will feel groggy and may need to rest for a few hours. Most patients will remember very little, if anything at all, from their dental appointment.
Learn About Sedation Dentistry in Hunt Valley, MD
Contact Cosmetic and Advanced Dentistry to learn more about sedation dentistry in Hunt Valley, MD. You can reach us at (410) 697-6290 or you can request an appointment online.